I’ve hinted at it and here it is: The Proposed Mark Twain Project!
Basically, someone donated an awesome Mark Twain collection. Hardcover. Cameo of Twain on the spines. 24 volumes of the complete authorized works. I grabbed those up like they were diamonds. I stacked them on my desk at work and contemplated taking them home for a day or two before one of the book sale ladies asked me to “make them disappear.” So, I paid half price and got the set for $12.
You can see the set here.
I have a confession. I have never read any Twain. I love the man. He’s a genius. He’s quotable and just so damn American. I’ve been to his house. My shot glass is Twain. But I have Never Read Twain.
So I am going to.
My project is based on reading the complete authorized Twain in one year. I took the 24 volumes and planned them for every other week. This means that I end about a month shy of a full year and I need that just in case. In theory, every week that I need to read a Twain I will drop whatever I am reading and dive into the Twain and then pick up like nothing happened.
I make NO PROMISES. If I am finding something particularly painful, I will move on. Life is short.
I’m going by volume, which can be looked up online or you can follow the link at the end. If you want to read along, here’s the plan:
- October 6- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
- October 20- Innocents Abroad
- November 3- Pudd’nhead Wilson
- November 17- The American Claimant
- December 1- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court
- December 15- Roughing It
- December 29- Life on the Mississippi
- January 12- The Mysterious Stranger
- January 26- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
- February 9- The Gilded Age
- February 23- A Tramp Abroad
- March 9- What is Man?
- March 23- Following the Equator
- April 6- Tom Sawyer Abroad
- April 20- The Man that Corrupted Harleyburg
- May 4- In Defense of Harriet Shelley
- May 18- Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc
- June 1- The $30,000 Bequest
- June 15- Sketches Old and New
- June 29- Europe and Elsewhere
- July 13- The Prince and the Pauper
- July 27- Mark Twain’s Notebook
- August 10-Christian Science
- August 24- Mark Twain Speaks
For a list of the works included in each volume, look here.